From: Eugene Matusov
Submit: Post Message
Date: 08 Nov 1996
A) reading questions for November:
Week 7. Readings due November 11 (part II below; read at least one paper)
Topic 4. What are cultural, gender, institutional, and individual differences and similarities in how and what people learn? What are differences and similarities in trajectories of individual development? How do verbal and non-verbal communication contribute to learning? How does institutional environment define learning and its sustainability?
Rationale for the topic: In the second part of the quarter, we want you to focus on different psychological phenomena related to learning: cultural diversity, verbal and non-verbal communication, gender differences, language. Taub, L. (1995). Playing with gender: Children and computers in the fifth dimension. Presented at the "International Communications Association Meeting." Albuquerque, New Mexico, May 25-29.
1) What involves in crossing gender boundaries? Why do you think learning crossing gender boundaries for children is important according to Taub? Do you agree with her that children should learn that? Have you ever crossed gender boundaries? If so, how did you feel about that, was you supported by others or they were opposed it?
2) What is the role of the Wizard in regard to gender issues at 5th Dimension?
3) What is the difference between genderless and crossing gender boundaries? Do you think that the 5th Dimension Wizard crosses the gender boundaries or tries to be gender neutral? How do you think children's communication with genderless person can affect their gender socialization?
4) Do you think that the 5th Dimension Wizard can ease gender fights between boys and girls described at the beginning of the paper?
5) What gender specific activities, gender markers, and gender segregation have you noticed at Barrios Unidos among the kids?
6) Why do you think the discussion on gender is important (if so) in regard to Barrios Unidos?
Nicolopoulou, A. & Cole M. (1993). Generation and Transmission or Shared Knowledge in the Culture of Collaborative Learning: The Fifth Dimension, Its Play-World, and Its Institutional Contexts. In E. A. Forman, N. Minick, & C. A. Stone (Eds.), Contexts for learning: Sociocultural dynamics in children's development. New York: Oxford University Press.
1) How was children's learning at the 5th Dimension assess in the paper? Which educational philosophy(ies) does this assessment gravitate to?
2) Which of the two described settings better fit the 5th Dimension and why? What was the evidence for the better fit?
3) Which of the two settings like more 5th Dimension and why?
4) What is the ecology of each setting and what the ecology of the 5th Dimension?
5) Describe the ideal settings for the 5th Dimension?
6) Do you think that the setting of Barrios Unidos ideal fit the UCSC links projects? Please, give examples. If not, what setting would?